I love coconut oil! We can’t get enough of this wonder working oil in our home and I couldn’t wait to tell you more about the benefits for coconut oil. You are going to be surprised at all the ways to use this ancient natural element that is straight from nature and our Creator!
Coconut oil can be used for the creation of delicious dishes but have you ever thought about the numerous benefits related to its usage? Coconut oil contains amazing ingredients that can make your skin more beautiful, improve digestion, strengthen the immune system and help fight infections. Seriously- so wonderful!
What is Coconut Oil?
Coconut oil is extracted from the meat of coconuts and it has been used for centuries in certain parts of the world. Due to the high amounts of lipids, coconut oil was always an important source of energy for indigenous people in Tropical regions. And…The fruit of the coconut palm has been used for the past 4000 years!
Main Benefits of Coconut Oil- For Health & Beauty
There are many benefits of coconut oil. The lipids in coconut oil are essential for beautiful skin, hair and nails. A number of DIY masks can be prepared at home from coconut oil and other beneficial ingredients like honey, fruit paste, yogurt and milk.
The natural oil delivers much better results that the moisturizers, lotions, conditioners and hair masks that can be purchased from a beauty shop. On top of that, it can be 100 percent organic and free from dangerous chemicals and additives that are present in commercially produced cosmetics.
The health benefits of coconut oil should not be underestimated either. Coconut oil contains lauric acid that is essential for heart health. It also assists digestion, speeds up weight loss, helps to fight infections, improves liver health, prevents gallbladder disease and has soothing effects that are exceptionally beneficial for individuals subjected to high levels of stress.
Anti-Bacterial, Anti-Viral and Anti-Fungal
Coconut oil is anti-bacterial, anti-viral, and anti-fungal. It kills viruses that have a lipid (fatty) coating, such as herpes, hepatitis C, the flu, and mononucleosis. It kills the bacteria that cause pneumonia, sore throats, dental cavities, urinary tract infections, meningitis, gonorrhea, food poisoning, pneumonia, and many more bacterial infections.
It also kills the fungus/yeast infections that cause Candida, ringworm, athlete’s foot, thrush, jock itch, diaper rash and more. Coconut oil isn’t a cure in itself, but it does contain these properties that fight against such ailments.
Coconut Oil for Energy
Coconut oil is able to boost energy levels and endurance. It is not stored in the body’s cells like other fats and actually breaks down much quicker within the liver and used like a carbohydrate.
Athletes and bodybuilders use it as a natural supplement in sports drinks. It also increases your metabolism which is great for anyone wanting to lose weight. There is a whole industry devoted to losing weight through coconut oil products and recipes.
Improved Digestive System
Coconut oil helps in improving the digestive system and absorption of fat soluble vitamins, minerals and amino acids. This helps to prevent various stomach and digestion related problems such as irritable bowel syndrome. The saturated fats present in coconut oil have anti microbial properties and help in dealing with various bacteria, fungi, parasites, etc., that cause indigestion.
Diabetics use it to reduce their symptoms and the risk of developing diabetes is reduced with regular use of coconut oil in your cooking.
High in Antioxidants
Coconut oil, in particular virgin coconut oil contains high levels of antioxidants which help to protect the body from free radicals and prevent degenerative diseases, cancer and premature aging.
Good For Your Heart
It has been accepted for a long time now that diets high in saturated fat can cause heart disease. This is true of popular cooking oil and many fast and processed foods. Coconut oil is also high in saturated fat, but scientists are discovering that this form of saturated fat is actually good for your heart despite the bad press it has received over the years.
It contains about 50% lauric acid, and has shown not to increase ‘bad’ LDL cholesterol levels that other saturated fats do.
For optimal heart health it is recommended we have a healthy balance of saturated, poly-unsaturated and mono-unsaturated fat.
A Natural Stress Relief
Coconut oil is very soothing and hence it helps in removing stress. Applying coconut oil to the head followed with a gentle massage helps in removing mental fatigue.
Coconut oil is excellent massage oil for the skin. It acts as an effective moisturizer on all types of skin, including dry skin. The benefit of coconut oil on the skin is comparable to that of mineral oil. But unlike mineral oil, there is little chance of having any adverse reactions on the skin.
Coconut oil also helps in treating various skin problems including psoriasis, dermatitis, eczema and other skin infections. It forms the basic ingredient of various body care products such as soaps, lotions, creams, etc., used for skin care.
Coconut oil is anti-inflammatory, so it’s possible it would bring some relief from bug bites, as it promotes healing.
Since it is anti-inflammatory, coconut oil might be useful as a salve to speed healing of bruises, strains, and sore muscles.
|Product||Refined/Unrefined||Processing Method||Rating||Buy Option|
|Optima Organic Coconut Oil||Unrefined||Cold Pressed||Buy from Amazon|
Ma Devlin's 100 Percent Organic Virgin Coconut Oil ||Unrefined||Cold Pressed||Buy from Amazon|
Coconut Merchant Organic Raw Extra Virgin Coconut Oil||Unrefined||Cold Pressed||Buy from Amazon|
|Lucy Bee Extra Virgin Organic Raw Fairtrade Coconut Oil ||Unrefined||Cold Pressed||Buy from Amazon|
|Pipkin 100% Organic Coconut Oil||Unrefined||Cold Pressed||Buy from Amazon|
There are so many uses for coconut oil. Some of the most common things that it can be used for include:
These are just a few of the coconut oil uses. Coconut oil can also be used both as a part of a healthy diet and a topical remedy. To get the most of it, always buy high quality coconut oil. Stick to unrefined oil because the processing and filtering removes some of the useful ingredients found in virgin, unrefined coconut oil.
The extraction method is important. More heat means that the coconut oil will lose some of its qualities and taste. Centrifuged oil is usually exposed to the least amount of heat. Keep in mind that a label saying “cold-pressed” does not necessarily mean the coconut oil has not been processed with heat. Go to the local organic store for a good variety of coconut oils. Read the labels before you purchase one product or another.
Now that you understand the benefits of coconut oil, here are a few simple and easy suggestions for the creation of homemade remedies and beauty treatments. This is just a start!
1. Hair conditioning: while in the shower, run a small bit of coconut oil through your wet hair. Wait a few minutes and wash your hair to enjoy its beautiful shine.
2. Makeup removal: for easy and gentle makeup removal, pour a little bit of coconut oil on a cotton ball and dab on the skin. This makeup remover is suitable for the eye area.
3. Shoe cleaning: leather needs to be moisturized and nourished, just like your skin. Coconut oil is an excellent shoe cleaner, plus it will keep the leather in top condition.
4. Organic lip balm: instead of buying lip balm from the store, smear a bit of coconut oil on your lips. No commercially produced lip balm will be capable of rivaling the results.
5. Healthy scrub: mix coconut oil and baking soda or coconut oil and sea salt. This face scrub is gentle and excellent for skin exfoliation.
6. Coconut oil applied to the skin of your baby can fight cradle cap efficiently. Coconut oil has anti-inflammatory, anti-septic and anti-fungal qualities.
7. Foot cream: to deal with unpleasant odor and athlete’s foot, rub a bit of coconut oil on your feet.
8. Anti-wrinkle treatment: coconut oil contains powerful antioxidants. Use it as a face cream to stimulate cell regeneration.
9. Anti-stress therapy: rub coconut oil on your temples. The delicate massage and the soothing effects of coconut oil will help you cope with stress more efficiently.
10. Better digestion: coconut oil can significantly improve digestion. The anti-bacterial properties help for indigestion and irritable bowel syndrome. Just cook with coconut oil for best results.
11. Weight loss: coconut oil stimulates the metabolism, which results in better weight loss effects. It also increases energy levels, which turns it into the perfect pre-workout snack.
12. Eczema: to treat eczema, cook with coconut oil or apply it externally to the affected areas.
13. Good for breastfeeding moms: moms can take three tablespoons of coconut oil per day. The coconut oil will increase the milk supply, making it easier for ladies to start breastfeeding and to keep on doing it for a long period of time.
14. Menstrual cycle regulation: eating coconut oil helps control heavy menstrual bleeding, cramps and the severity of PMS symptoms. Additionally, coconut oil can be used to deal with irregular menstrual cycles.
Do you use coconut oil? I would love to hear how you use coconut oil for health, cooking, and home use. I am thrilled with the results I have found so far, and am excited for all the benefits of coconut oil!
Did you know? Tropical populations consuming high quantities of coconut oil are known for their longevity. Raw, virgin coconut oil is healthy and beneficial. The key to success is choosing a high quality, unrefined product. If you have some worries about it, talk to your doctor or local health food store consultant to figure out what will work best for you.
Disclosure: I am not a medical professional. The statements and suggestions given here have not been evaluated by the FDA. I am simply sharing ideas and suggestions on how to use coconut oil in everyday life. I assume no liability for the way you choose to use coconut oil. Use your good judgement and act responsibly.
I'm Hannah, I'm skincare and beauty addict and most importantly a first time mummy. I love eating delicious food and living an active life. When I am not busy crafting posts & researching about compelling content ideas, You can find me playing outdoors with my daughter.